Monday, May 14, 2012

My First Mother's Day....I'm BACK!

As I sit here watching the rain fall outside, my husband loving on our baby girl, and the fire flicker in the fireplace, I am one happy Mama.  The voice in my head has been bugging me for weeks to update my blog, considering its been months.  I've been putting it off simply because there is too much to write to update on what has been going on between now and then.  Simply put, its been the most challenging 3-4 months of my life but also the most rewarding.  The struggle and difficulty is still a little too fresh in my brain to reflect on and go into detail about, but i will eventually.  I will just say that silent reflux has been insanely hard to handle, and I can't express how much respect and compassion I have for mothers who are going through MUCH harder illnesses, injuries and challenges than we have.

Makena Rylie is quickly approaching her 3 month birthday and I can't believe how much she has grown.  Her little giggles warm my heart and I am so proud of the miniature person shes already starting to become. My heart is filled with so much love for her, and even more love than I've already felt for Jon, which I didn't know was possible.


It is my first real Mother's Day and I feel so incredibly blessed.  Starting at midnight last night, Jon took on baby duty and let me sleep through the night.  I woke up at 9:30 to the smell of bacon wafting into the bedroom and come downstairs to find a full on breakfast made for a queen!  He made dairy-free chocolate chip pancakes from scratch, bacon and maple sausage, raspberries, chocolate covered strawberries, mimosas and a steaming cup of coffee.  The true joy, however, came from reading my 4 Mother's Day cards from Jon, Kena and Kona, my mom and Rachel.  I feel so loved and couldn't ask for more. 

As the day went on, Jon drew a bath for me lined with candles, beverages and my book while he did a few loads of laundry and the dishes from breakfast.  When Makena went down for a nap, we spent an hour just talking.  We reflected on our life, our favorite dating memories and spent time making sure we really knew how much we meant to each other and how appreciative we are for the other.

I then made my way back downstairs and popped in a movie while I was instructed not to pay attention to what was going on in the kitchen behind me.  Jon had asked me a few weeks ago what I wanted for Mother's Day and I said all I wanted was a raw seafood meal including oysters and clams.  Well, he went all out and made an entire platter full of crab legs, lobster tails, shrimp, scallops, oysters and clams.  He even made two different kinds of dips for the seafood and paired our meal with a bottle of La Crema Chardonnay, the same kind of wine we drank the night we got engaged. 

Ok, bragging is over.  I didn't want the day to end.  At 11:30pm Jon even asked me if there was anything else he could get me that would complete my Mother's Day?  It was perfect. 

What was NOT perfect, however, is the fact that our daughter has again rebelled against her decent bedtime and didn't fall asleep last night until 1:10am.  Ugh! We were doing SO WELL!!

Well that's it for now.  I plan on making a solid effort from here on out to update more frequently, and even get back into posting recipes and what not.  Its good to be back :)
My extravagant breakfast
Mommy and baby bonding
Nom nom nom
Daddy and his sweet baby girl
Relaxing bath

No comments:

Post a Comment