Tuesday, June 19, 2012

First Father's Day. (3rd if you ask Kona.)

It was a great first Father's Day.  I know I already blew up the news feed posting pictures of Facebook, but I thought I'd re-post and add a few more so that I can have them on my blog.  Here's our day, in pictures.  And I'll finish it with a recipe for Ahi Poke.  If you've ever been to Hawaii and had this fresh, you'll know how amazing it is.  It actually became a nostalgic thing for Jon and I, and a great memory so I tried to re-create it.  I'm shocked at how well it turned out and how close to the actual thing it tasted like! A must try for sushi lovers. 

Breakfast and gifts are fun to wake up to
At Sope Creek letting Kona play in the lake (notice her in the background)
Lunch on the driveway since the weather was perfect and baby girl was napping
Mojitos for Dad
Pool Time! Kena was trying to decide how she felt about the cold water and floatie
Kisses for baby
Splashing in the water

Ahi Poke over a bed of Seaweed Salad.....heaven!!!
The best part of my day.  Watching him being super surprised and so excited for this treat!
And a nice juicy steak to follow.
I wish that I would have been able to spend the day with my Daddio as well.  I'm such a lucky girl to have him as such an active, loving and selfless role model in my life.  I am also lucky to have gained such a teddy bear, happy, smiley, always loving Father in law, Smitty!  Makena, Jon and I have amazing fathers and we are all so incredibly blessed!!!!


Ahi Poke Recipe
  • 2 pounds fresh tuna steaks, cubed
  • 1 cup soy sauce
  • 3/4 cup chopped green onions
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper (I only used a dash, I didn't remember the real stuff being spicy)
1. In a medium size non-reactive bowl, combine Ahi, soy sauce, green onions, sesame oil, sesame seeds, crushed red pepper; mix well. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.  Best over seaweed salad

No comments:

Post a Comment