Friday, June 8, 2012

Kristen's Kitchen: A Week of Recipes, Thursday

Yesterday I decided to go with a crock pot recipe, one of my favorite things to do.  It is so easy to just throw a bunch of stuff in, flip it on low and forget about it for hours.  My go-to is always shredded beef sandwiches so that's what I'm gonna post.  I chose a recipe that is slightly different than my usual but I liked it a LOT! It might become the new norm.  I simply put the meat on a kasier roll (fresh from Publix bakery, they are the BEST) and get a bowl of the au jus sauce its been soaking it to dip.  You can spice up the sandwich by adding whatever you want (melted swiss cheese, coleslaw, pickles, etc.) but I like mine simple.  Add some chips and a soda and you have yourself and easy and yummy summer time dinner. 

Italian Shredded Beef Sandwiches Recipe

Ingredients:
-3lb beef rump roast or bottom round roast
-2 cups water
-1 envelope zesty italian salad dressing mix
-1 envelope au jus gravy mix
-1 medium onion, thinly sliced
-Italian or kaiser rolls

Steps:
1.  Cut roast in half.  Place in a 4-qt. slow cooker.  Combine water, italian mix and au jus mix; pour over meat.  Top with onion.  Cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours (only took 6-7 hours for me).
2.  Remove meat.  Shred meat when cool enough to handle.  Skim fat from cooking juices.  Return meat to slow cooker; heat through.  Serve on italian rolls.  
what the meat looked like after it was fully cooked
easily shreds with a fork when its tender
adding a bowl of au jus sauce is a MUST!

No comments:

Post a Comment