Friday, June 21, 2013

blogging in traffic.


don't worry, i'm not driving. heading down to san diego yet again for a few reasons. 
1.) my mom is my best friend and I would rather hang out with her than stay in redlands and make my own friends. i'm so cool. text me sd friends, i should probably stop going to bed at 9:30 and actually do something social.
2.) jon is going to be working like a mad man over the next week so instead of being a single mom in redlands i'd rather be a single mom in san diego.

so i lied about my breakfast today. i had every intention of making the green spinach smoothie but then I saw my beautiful ripe avocado sitting there just waiting to be eaten so I changed my mind. my wonderful friend emily gave me this recipe and i've been wanting to try it so I did. here you have it:


i don't actually know what it is called so i shall name it the avocado egg melt. super high in protein and healthy fats. good for you and delicious 
ingredients:
-whole avocado 
-2 eggs
-cayenne pepper and garlic salt 
-shredded cheddar cheese 

remove the stone from an avocado. scoop out a little more avocado to increase the size of the stone's crater. crack an egg into the crater. sprinkle with cayenne pepper and garlic salt (cheese too if you desire). bake in the oven at 400 degrees until egg is cooked to the level you like, about 10-20 minutes


and here is a picture of my good little traveler, super excited to see dida and pap pap. 


of course I did my costco run a few days ago without knowing i'd be coming to poway this weekend so i decided to make one of my upcoming meals to bring to eat and share tonight. haven't actually tried it yet but it looks yummy and healthy. 


it's a cold orzo pasta with chicken and vegetables. 

recipe:  

you'll need: 
-8 ounces uncooked orzo pasta 
-juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
-1 tsp dijon mustard 
-1 shallot, minced (i used a green onion cause its what i had)
-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil 
-salt and pepper to taste 
-2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken 
-1/2 english cucumber, chopped 
-1 large carrot, shredded 
-1/2 red bell pepper, chopped 
-1/2-1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved 
-1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped

directions:
  1. cook pasta as directed on box. strain and transfer to a very large bowl (it needs room to cool as well as room for all of the other ingredients--and stirring room!).
  2. while the pasta cooks, prepare dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, mustard, shallot, oil, salt and pepper.
  3. add dressing and chicken to warm pasta and toss to combine. place in fridge to chill.
  4. while the pasta is chilling, prep your vegetables and parsley. Add them to cooled (or mostly cooled) pasta and chicken mixture. serve immediately or store in fridge until ready to eat.

happy weekend friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment