Monday, October 1, 2012

more food. i like to eat.

Here's a few more recipes for you.  A few healthy, a few....not so much.  Hey, it was the weekend. And on the weekend we cheat.

Prosciutto and Cucumber Crackers

Hardly a "recipe", but a delicious snack or lunch nonetheless.  Basically just start with some Club crackers, spread a thin layer of whipped cream cheese, place a piece of cucumber and then top with a small slice of prosciutto. Bam, you're done.



Chicken and Rice Casserole
 A classic casserole that I'm sure most of you ate when you were younger.  I make a few small changes to make it even tastier.  Bake some veggies and you have your starch, your protein, your dairy and your veggies.  Hardly healthy, but tasty. 'TIS TASTY!!

Ingredients:
-3-4 chicken breasts
-1 can cream of mushroom condensed soup
-3/4 cup uncooked rice
-1 cup chicken broth
-a few handfuls of shredded cheddar cheese
-1/4 t paprika
-1/4 t black pepper

Directions:
1. Stir the soup, broth, rice, paprika and black pepper in a 2-quart shallow baking dish.  Top with the chicken.  Season with additional paprika and black pepper.  Cover the baking dish.
2. Bake at 375 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.



Fettucine w/ Prosciutto and Sage Cream
This is one of those Publix Apron's Simple Meals that Jon picked up.  Publix is our grocery store and every weekday they have a stand in the store where they make a certain meal and provide recipes and samples.  He thought this sounded good, and he was right! I altered it a lot because of the ingredients that I did and did not have.  I'll put the Publix recipe and also my changes next to it.

Ingredients:
-4 slices prosciutto (about 2 oz), thinly sliced
-10 sage leaves (I had dried sage so I just sprinkled some of that on)
-2/3 cup roasted red peppers, finely chopped (I used a green bell pepper)
-8 oz fettuccine pasta (I used about 1/2 to 2/3 of a box of thin spaghetti.....or maybe regular spaghetti, I can't remember now.)
-2 T olive oil
-12 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced (I used about 6 oz because that's all I had and Jon doesn't like mushrooms)
-4 spears asparagus, chopped (Didn't call for this but I added it)
-2 cups fully cooked chicken strips (I just cooked my own beforehand)
-1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
-1 cup Alfredo sauce
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
-1/4 cup shredded Parmesan/Romano cheese blend (I used shredded Parm)

Directions:
1. Cook pasta following package instructions.
2. Preheat large saute pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes.  Place oil in pan, then add mushrooms (and bell peppers and asparagus); cook 2-3 minutes or until browned.  Add chicken strips; cook 1-2 minutes to heat.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low.  Stir in broth and Alfredo sauce; simmer 3-4 minutes or until mixture has thickened.  Stir in pasta, prosciutto, sage, and pepper.  Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.



Mediterranean Flounder 
I figured I would give flounder another shot, mostly because I still have some in my freezer because we bought a Costco sized bag.  I wasn't a huge fan of the first recipe.  It was a little bland and had too much basil.  Apparently I've also been on a Mediterranean kick lately too.  Who doesn't love capers and tomatoes?  This one was MUCH better and I would definitely make it again.  Jon also loved it. This is another allrecipes.com gem.

Ingredients:
  • 5 roma (plum) tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 Spanish onion, chopped (I used a sweet onion)
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 pinch Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 24 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped (I left them out and it was still awesome)
  • 4 tablespoons capers
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 6 leaves fresh basil, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 pound flounder fillets
  • 6 leaves fresh basil, torn (didn't add these on top)
 Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Plunge tomatoes into the boiling water, and immediately remove to a medium bowl of ice water. Drain, and remove skins. Chop, and set aside.
  3. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and saute onion until tender. Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning. Stir in tomatoes, and cook until tender. Mix in wine, olives, capers, lemon juice, and 1/2 the basil. Reduce heat, blend in Parmesan cheese, and cook until the mixture is reduced to a thick sauce, about 15 minutes.
  4. Place flounder in a shallow baking dish. Cover with the sauce, and top with remaining basil leaves.
  5. Bake 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until fish is easily flaked with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment