Monday, October 10, 2011

Creamy (And Very Pretty) Sausage and Tomato Pasta

I know I just posted a recipe this morning, but to be honest I made that meal on Saturday night.  I just cleaned up the kitchen after making tonight's dinner and boy was it delicious.  As I'm sure you can tell by now, the recipes I like to use aren't very fancy or complex but I'm a fairly simple girl so that's how I like it. 

This is the first time I made this recipe and it was a hit!  I really wish I could say I whipped up the idea on my own, but that's rarely the case (maybe someday.)  This meal comes from a food blog by the name of thegirlwhoateeverything.blogspot.com. 

Here's what you'll need:

-1 lb spicy pork sausage (found in the lunch meat/bacon section of the grocery store)
-1 cup chopped onion
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 (16 ounce) can Italian style diced tomatoes
-1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
-1 cup heavy cream
-5-6 big leaves of fresh basil, chopped
-12 ounces penne pasta (get a 16 ounce box and use 3/4 of it)
grated Parmesan for topping
 1.  Chop onion and basil and mince garlic.  Put a pot of water on the high heat and bring to a boil. 
2.  While water comes to a boil, brown the sausage. 
3.  Stop to take a picture of your dog yelling at your husband.
4. Add the onions and garlic to the sausage and saute for about 5 minutes. 
5.  Pour in the entire can of diced tomatoes and the tomato sauce and heat through. Water should be boiling now and this is a good point to throw in the pasta.  Cook al dente according to package instructions.
6. Pour in the cream and heat through.  The longer you cook the sauce the thicker it will get so simmer it for a while.  (About 5-8 minutes)
7.  Add the fresh basil and let it simmer for a few more minutes
Isn't this such an awesome color?
8. Strain your pasta and return to pot. 

9.  Finally, pour sausage and sauce over the pasta and mix. 
Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top and serve with garlic bread (comes in handy when it comes to soaking up the sauce at the end).   A nice glass of red wine can only make things EVEN better :) This meal is a winner. I hope you enjoy as much as we did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment